The Academy Benfica, the Portuguese farmhouse, has celebrated its 15th anniversary. Since it opened its doors in September 2007, he has trained European stars and generated more than 500 million euros in revenue, receiving the Globe Soccer Award for the best academy of the year in 2015 and 2019. Ruben Dias, João Félix, Bernardo Silva, Renato Sanches, João Cancelo, Ederson, Jan Oblak, André Gomes, Nélson Semedo, Victor Lindelöf or Gonçalo Guedes …
Simao Sabrosa (10/31/1979, Portugal) is Benfica’s director of institutional relations and a defender of La Academia. Benfica is Barça’s rival on his second day of the Champions League.
With Ansu, Gavi, Nico …, the Masia is now in fashion in Barcelona as well as the Benfica Academy
There are many comparisons yes. The Benfica Academy has turned 15 years old. We are super happy with the work of the managers, the coaches and the trainers… Players of a high level have come out and continue to come out.
The two clubs coincide: the quarry is the base of the first team
Definitely. Benfica invested a lot in making the Academy thinking about it. Train high-level players to reach the first team.
The list is long.
Barça have been able to count on Semedo or André Gomes. There are others, Ruben Dias, Joao Félix, Bernardo Silva, Guedes, Cancelo, Oblak … What Benfica is doing is very big. We are satisfied with what we did and what is going to happen in the future.
A factory of cracks
We have already reached excellence but the most difficult thing is not to get there, it is to stay, to maintain the level. We know that talented stars will not come out every year, but we have the conditions to do so.
This year there are Diogo Gonçalves, Ferro, Gedson, Paulo Bernardo, Gonçalo Ramos …
Speak with pride.
It is a pride to look back, what was before and what is now The Academy and the effort it is making.
You went through Barça, what do you remember about La Masia?
We had a nearby field where we trained and there was the Masia. Now you look and Barça has a very good Sports City. I remember Iniesta, who came to train and the children who slept there … I remember Xavi.
Grimaldo left grassroots football
Yes, we are very happy with Grimaldo. He is a player who contributes a lot. Technically he is strong, defines well and has been with us for many years. He is happy to be at Benfica, in a historic club like Barça. It shows his quality and why Benfica signed him.
These are some key facts about the Benfica Campus:
– Surface: 19 hectares;
– 9 pitches (6 natural grass – 11 football; 2 synthetic grass – 11 football; 1 synthetic grass)
– Accommodation center with 86 rooms (30 rooms for the first team, 56 rooms for the academy teams, 98 beds);
– 2 gyms (523m2, 475m2);
– 28 changing rooms (for daily work, for competition and for referees);
– 360º training room;
– 5 laundries;
– 3 physiotherapy rooms;
– 2 treatment and consultation rooms;
– 2 physical assessment rooms;
– 2 auditoriums;
– Other spaces: study room, offices, bar, meeting rooms and living room;
– Kitchen and 2 dining rooms.
– 10 teams in daily sports activity, divided into the following classes
First Team, Team B, U23, U19, Youth (2 teams – U17 and
U-16, 2 U-15 teams and 2 U-14 teams);
– About 200 talents between 12 and 19 years old who train in Seixal
– YOUTH TEAMS: – 89 athletes residing at Caixa Futebol Campus between 12 and 19 years old;
– YOUTH TEAMS: 42 coaches in daily activity, 172 athletes (from U-14 to team B);
– YOUTH TEAMS: 86 Club employees in daily activity;
– An average of 65 external employees in daily activity (service companies).